ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Ed McCreight Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Ed McCreight Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Ed McCreight <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:24:41 +0200

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves a choice about privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed against their will without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

Consider public telephone directories, a close analogy. In most countries people have the choice whether to omit or to include their phone numbers in public telephone directories. Their reasons are as different as the people themselves.

Ed McCreight
Rigistrasse 49
8006 Zuerich
Switzerland