ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Don't endanger women by exposing our domain registration information

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Don't endanger women by exposing our domain registration information
  • From: Annalee Flower Horne <leeflowerh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:08:08 +0000

Dear ICANN –

As a small business owner and content creator, I urge you to respect
internet users' rights to privacy and due process.

I'm sure you're aware of the group of misogynist hate campaigns that has
been terrorizing women in technology. Hate groups like GamerGate target
women in technology with violent imagery, sexualized death threats,
all-night phone calls, and even fake calls to the SWAT team to get them to
raid our homes. WHOIS lookup information makes it trivially easy for these
violent misogynists to track down our addresses and contact information.
Without privacy protections, it's not safe for us to operate businesses
online.

Please don't endanger our lives and families just to spare others the
inconvenience of obtaining a court order when they have a legitimate
interest in this information. Limiting privacy will do much more to help
violent hate groups than it will to help consumers.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

-Annalee