ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Aaron Johnson Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Aaron Johnson Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Aaron Johnson <airjohn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:23:28 +0000

In my own words:

I see no additional benefit from making WHOIS data public. It's been known
for years that it is a source for spammers to compile a list of email
addresses or contact information. Additionally it gives information to
people who might use it to further stalk or harass people.

WHOIS is already useful for finding registrar information,
hosting providers and name servers. This is all information that
is publicly available and useful  technologically. We don't need private
information in WHOIS data too.

-Aaron

Form letter follows:

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.