ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ruth Kitchin Tillman <ruthtillman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:51:29 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS
privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services
Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court
order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private
individual or law enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

In particular, please consider the many women who are harassed online
and must already buy WHOIS privacy services or risk having terrifying
men show up at their houses. I write about games and get scared enough
that people will find me using other methods, but if my data were
simply exposed through a WHOIS lookup, I wouldn't be able to own my
own sites safely. I've owned domains for my entire adult life.

Ruth Kitchin Tillman