ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Please respect our privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Please respect our privacy
  • From: Keno Schwalb <hi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:01:18 +0200

Dear ICANN,

I write to you in regard to the proposed changes to the WHOIS privacy
policies.
Before making your decision, please think about these points:

- Every person has a right to keep his or her personal information private.
   Not listing your name in public WHOIS records is just like not being
listed
   in the phone book. It is a personal decision and has nothing to do
with copyright fraud or legal prosecution.

- Even if a registrant uses WHOIS protection services, a valid court
order can be obtained
   to reveal the registrant's identity. If not court order can be
obtained, there cannot
   be a legitimate reason to infringe on the registrant's privacy.

- Even *if* you should decide that privacy is something evil (and we
should probably be forced
   to publish all of our private information, including bank records
etc.), a name should be enough.
   Nominet, the UK's NIC, only publishes the registrant's name. No
E-Mail or addresses are published.
   There is no good reason for more private information to be published.

Private information should be kept private.

Cheers,
Keno