ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Protecting Domain Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Protecting Domain Privacy
  • From: Matt Covino <matt.j.covino@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:30:52 -0400

The purpose of this email is to document my objection to the proposed ICANN
policy of ending domain privacy, which threatens to expose the contact
details and physical location of domain registrars via a WHOIS lookup.

Given the recent revelations and examples of malicious internet predators
using WHOIS and other resources to expose (aka "doxx") individuals's
contact details as a form of harassment, and the corresponding threats of
physical and sexual violence against those exposed individuals, I find it
unnecessary if not negligent to willingly expose those details to the
general public.

Those who use the internet, especially social media, and most especially
women, are harassed and threatened at a shocking frequency. Any actions or
decisions that aid the harassers and other criminals in their dangerous
and/or illegal acts are, in my opinion, irresponsible at best.

Please, do not find yourselves complicit in the harassment that frequently
ends in the target's suicide, physical/sexual assault, or
personal/professional ruin.

- Matt Covino
Connecticut, USA