ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Charles M. Coomes Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - Charles M. Coomes Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: <forensics.coones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 18:54:44 +0000

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

The reason my business carries a PO box address rather than my home address is
just for this reason.  There is no advantage to releasing your private data to
people you do business with.  That would be equivalent to having the name, home
address, and phone number of regulators, phone solicitors, and police officers.
 The potential for unhappy endings is very high.  I urge you to turn away from
these efforts to put more personal data on the web.

Charlie Coones