ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS privacy services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS privacy services
  • From: M Garigan <mgarigan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:15:35 -0700

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing today to express my dismay regarding the proposed change to
rules affecting WHOIS privacy services for registrants of domain names
associated with commercial activities.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process,
regardless of their involvement in internet-based commerce. An individual's
right to privacy is guaranteed under US federal law, and residents of
California are granted the inalienable right to pursue and obtain privacy
under the state constitution. I do not obviate or relinquish these rights
by engaging in commerce online. Exposing my personal information without a
court order -- regardless of whether the request comes from an individual,
business, or law enforcement agency -- runs counter to these guaranteed
rights, and creates a situation ripe for harassment and abuse.

Sincerely,

M Garigan