ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN and Whois privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN and Whois privacy
  • From: James Dudley <jamesdudley83@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:05:37 +0100

Hello.

For the last 10 months I've watched a group of disaffected criminals going
under various names - "/baph/", "/pol/", "gamergate" remorselessly hounding
my friends, seeking their personal data, and seeking to have them "swatted"
- that is, try to to have them murdered by a SWAT team sent to the property
under false pretenses.

I have no doubt that if your proposed change - which, to be blunt, is both
absurd, money-biased and inhuman - carries, it will lead to my friends and
the targets of online harassment having their personal details gathered
centrally, to assist in harassment of them.

I have no doubt, based on very recent history, that your proposal will lead
to this information being used to send a SWAT team to the houses of victims
of online harassment. Inevitably, this will result in their maiming or
murder by proxy.

Is the support of the entertainment industry worth the lives of victims of
online harassment, or their blood on ICANN's hands? It is hard to imagine a
scenario - impossible, in fact - where people will not experience
terroristic threats under this system. That's the best case scenario - in
the worst case, they are murdered.

Your proposed reform is utterly unacceptable. It will ensure that I never
buy another domain as long as it persists. Please listen to sense and
decency and drop this absurd, dangerous proposal.

Thank you