ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain Name Rules and User Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Name Rules and User Privacy
  • From: Scudder Mead <scudder.mead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:31:18 -0400

I've thought about this for a while and have concluded that the changes
being proposed are simply another blatant attempt by corporate interests to
gain additional advantage over the little guy. There is simply no
justification for forcing persons who seek privacy to forgo it simply to
provide an easier path for said corporate interests to track down persons
they perceive as having violated their rights.

That is all this proposal is about so on what basis might we remove needed
and necessary privacy from at risk persons just to make it easier on these
corporations? Are these corporations going to guarantee the personal safety
of at risk persons who are exercising their privacy rights? I think not.

They already have a mechanism to break the security walls if they must so
why can't they continue to do it through the court system?

The upshot is that they propose something which is not necessary. Don't let
them have what they want. They don't need it.

--
Scudder Mead
scudder.mead@xxxxxxxxx

-Arthur C. Clarke