ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

P/P for commercial entities

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: P/P for commercial entities
  • From: Michael Giagnocavo <mgg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:03:43 +0000

ICANN:
It seems rather overreaching to look into how a name is used to determine if
it's eligible for privacy and proxy services. But for argument, let's assume
there's some sort of abuse problem with organizations using DNS to facilitate
financial transactions. How does banning P/P services help? For real abuse, LE
can already get involved and get a court order to compel the P/P service to
provide the contact info. If P/P services are banned, entities seeking privacy
will just provide misleading contact and payment info. Now when LE gets their
court order, they have less info to fight such "abuse". Who wins by forcing all
"commercial" entities to avoid P/P services? Why should I suddenly loose
capabilities because I engage in "commercial" activity?

In general, ICANN and registrars should not be getting involved in determining
illegal activity. Focus on making DNS strong and robust, and let governments
sort it out at a higher level (they already do so, and will continue to do so).
The trademark issues are complex enough, without starting to throw in other
"illegal" activity such as virus hosting.

Registrars should have no additional compulsion to assist LEAs at all beyond
whatever local laws apply to them, and this does not need to be explicitly
written into the registrar's agreement. If a LEA requests non-notification to a
customer, the registrar should be allowed to do whatever they wish, and let LE
sort it out with them. ICANN shouldn't be in the business of making registrars
make LE jobs generally easier - LE and governments do enough of that already.

We should be happy if a registrar stands up to a bad-acting LEA and wins. If a
registrar wants to even publicly say they'll illegally resist all LEAs, hey,
great for them, ICANN should allow them to do so. (The registrar might lose,
but that's their own problem.) We should not automatically assume LEAs are in
the right; ICANN should remain neutral.

Slightly thoughtfully,
-Michael