ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comments on domain privacy / proxy registration services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on domain privacy / proxy registration services
  • From: Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <jsha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:16:20 -0700

I recently read that ICANN is considering a change to disallow proxy
registration services, commonly used by many web site owners to protect
themselves. This is a terrible idea. Having a domain name is a key part of
having a voice on the Internet, and publishing one's home address to the
entire Internet should not be a requirement. Domain proxy services already
provide the necessary legal service in case someone needs to reach a domain
owner.

For most of the internet-using public, publishing their home address is
very dangerous. I strongly recommend ICANN not change its policy regarding
proxy registration services.

Thanks,
Jacob Hoffman-Andrews