ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Think Twice, Save A Life - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Think Twice, Save A Life - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Sheri Rubin <sheri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:21:46 -0500

Domain privacy should be a free thing put on by default not a paid add-on. Making it not an option is a step in the wrong direction, not right.

The MAJORITY of people who host websites don't do it for criminal purposes. For advocates and activists, freelancers and home-based businesses, for those whose job is to protect the safety and security of others the ability to protect your privacy should NOT, rather CANNOT, be removed.

I have been the target of harassment, abuse, and stalking both online and offline. In part, some of this has become because I have spoken out, tried to support worthy causes, to speak out against harassment and online abuse in other cases it is simply because I am female. For that I have had my life dug into and attempts to find out any and all of my private info have been some people's "hobby" to harass or cause harm just for 'fun' or the 'challenge' to seeing how miserable they can make your life.

Giving the 'criminals' you are trying to help companies 'find' to hit with DMCAs and the like is >not worth< the lives you endanger if you go ahead with this change. Moving forward with these proposed changes puts my colleagues lives in danger, my friends lives in danger, MY life in danger, something that would not happen so readily if it required valid legal action to be taken.

Please think carefully before you cause undue harm on the many people who use domain privacy for legitimate and understandable reasons. Think twice, save a life.