ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy of personal information - please keep

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy of personal information - please keep
  • From: ta-icann@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:53:06 +0100

Dear ICANN

I understand you are considering changing the rules regarding companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy & Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document). From what I have been led to believe you will be proposing to allow anyone access to personal data for communications, personal addresses and possibly phone numbers and other information.

However, due to the extremely huge potential for abuse of revealed personal information that will become exposed to all the world's criminals, spammers, cold-callers, stalkers, snoopers etc., etc, I urge you to respect internet users' rights and needs to privacy and due process.

In particular

 * Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
 * You will be opening the doors for mass abuse of the system and the
   snooping of personal information could lead to many fraudulent
   attempts to impersonate others
 * If information is being required by certain people then perhaps make
   it possible for a secure communication channel to be opened that
   maintains personal protection and security. Don't just open
   everything to everyone, it is wrong.
 * No one’s personal information should be revealed without their
   explicit consent or a court order, regardless of whether the request
   comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

Domains were purchased, and indeed the Internet was founded with the need and ability to keep things private if so desired. An option to be public is available if required. Changing the rules that everyone believes is a right and how things have for a long time is going to cause a lot of problems for many and is against our initial understandings of buying domains in the first place.

The internet is already an unsafe place for anyone exposing their personal information. Please don't make matters worse than they already are. Do something that makes the internet a safer place instead.

Private information should be kept private if desired by the users. Facilitate a secure communications channel if that is what is essentially required.

Thank you, please respect privacy.

Tristram Ariss
UK