ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Why WHOIS privacy matters

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Why WHOIS privacy matters
  • From: Anirvan Chatterjee <anirvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 17:28:34 -0700

I have helped activists run a website that helps publicize the actions of an
exploitative foreign organization to potential victims. This organization has
indicated that it wants the website shut down.

Without strong domain privacy, I fear that they could claim trademark or
copyright infringement (e.g. in photos that include the organization's logo) as
a way to get access to the personal contact information and home address of
their critics, putting victims and activists at risk.

In my experience, without the robust guarantee of domain privacy, it becomes
significantly riskier for individuals to safely advocate against exploitative
organizations online.

--
Anirvan Chatterjee