ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS Privacy

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WHOIS Privacy
  • From: Colin Johnson <cjg_johnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:16:04 +1000

Dear ICANN,
                       I believe the proposed rule changes for WHOIS operators
are bizarre and potentially life threatening. In an internet full of criminals
and evil doers the privacy of web site owners must - MUST be protected. If
there are legitimate legal claims for ownership information there are currently
procedures for these to be obtained. However to publish them publicly would be
as good as giving them the keys to your house.

Sadly I deal with scammers and other criminal organizations regularly, and
think they would be only beneficiaries of publishing such information.

Instead I recommend INCREASING the privacy of web site owners, by making all
WHOIS information private and privileged. These should only be obtainable by
legal process in the country where the domain owner resides and where ICANN
agrees to the reasons for the disclosure. For example, providing the name and
address of the owner of a Gay rights web site to the Iranian government or ISIS
so they can be executed would not, in my opinion, be a valid reason for
disclosure.
- Kind regards, Colin Johnson