ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Lisa Allen Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Lisa Allen Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Lisa Allen <brandeline@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:24:52 -0700

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.

- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

There are already plenty of processes available to law enforcement to get court orders for information when there is real evidence that illegal action is taking place. The 5 minutes it takes to get a court order is no barrier to LEGAL and valid prosecution when necessary-- but court orders also provide the innocent with protection from rogue persecution and stalkers.

Private information should be kept private. Do the responsible thing and protect domain owners from breaches of privacy unless a court of law deems that a real and legal reason exists that privacy should be pierced for an individual website owner on a case by case basis.
Thank you.

Lisa Allen