ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - David Hare Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - David Hare Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Dave Cochran <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:42:02 +0100

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

I have one relative who is in hiding from a stalker who has threatened her
before, and another who is a transgender teen; both wish to pursue creative
careers online, and would be seriously endangered if creating domains for
themselves required them to make private information available via WHOIS. It is
unfair to make vulnerable people chose between their safety and their careers.
Moreover, even if they decide to forgo having their own domains - I already
have domains, and there is a real chance, if I cannot use WHOIS privacy, that
they could be put at risk because of my information being available.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Your sincerely,
Dave Cochran

===
Dave Cochran
Robot Squid Publications <http://robotsquid.net/>
Science-savvy sci-fi with an extra dimension
The Squidpod <http://robotsquid.net/squidpod/>
Your weekly flash-fiction transmission from Robot Squid Geostationary