ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

A Plea for Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A Plea for Privacy
  • From: Mc Kiernan Daniel Kian <Mc_Kiernan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 21:38:33 -0700

Sirs and mesdames—

I wish to discourage strongly any changes to the rules concerning domain registration that would require personal information to be revealed without a court order.

I am registered holder of several Internet domains; none has been nor is presently being used for "commercial" services; none was acquired for resale; none is intended to divert traffic by resemblance to another domain name. (And my domain names that most resemble those of others are not register using a proxy service!)

When the use of proxy services began, I had mixed feelings about it. But that was years ago, and our use of the Internet has evolved in the context of proxies being permitted. Many people would face significant costs if proxies were now effectively disallowed.

The vast majority of those who would bear those costs are not violators of trademarks nor of other intellectual property. Those who are _willful_ violators would be unlikely to have qualms about using proxies that did not admit to being proxies, or aliases that did not admit to being aliases.

Innocent third parties should simply not be made to bear any increased costs of protecting intellectual property; and, in this case, those whose costs of defending their property were lowered would not find them _much_ lowered!

(To illustrate an example of someone who could be significantly victimized by a change, consider a woman operating a small business from her home, on a shoe-string budget.)