ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Proposed ICANN privacy changes makes criminal activity easier and can cost lives

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed ICANN privacy changes makes criminal activity easier and can cost lives
  • From: Brennan Cheung <brennan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 22:45:35 -0700

Dear ICANN –

Your recent proposed rules regarding WHOIS privacy services are deeply
disturbing to me.  I urge you to consider the follow:

I work with models who run their own web sites.  Many of the websites can
be considered "commercial activity".  Exposing their private information
means you are opening them up to stalkers who will harass and possibly even
rape them.  Public servants and authorities are not immune to abusing this
power either.

Many public figures use pen names.  Making available their real names and
home addresses would make it easier for criminals who don't like what they
say to track them down and do them harm.

I urge you, please keep private information private.  Making this
information public puts lives in danger.

Thank you.