ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Tatsuya Murase Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Tatsuya Murase Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Tatsuya Murase <tmurase@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:45:31 -0700

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.
- Due process is a key element in any progressive judicial system. It is there
to protect us from the immense power of the state to inflict arbitrary
punishment.
- ICANN should uphold its mission to fulfill the promise of the Internet:
Empowering dissidents and oppressed peoples around the world requires privacy.
Stripping them of that is not a mere inconvenience for them: The very rights we
take for granted in the West, to the point of asking, “if you have nothing to
hide, you have nothing to fear” are not just a luxury for them, but are illegal
under the regimes they live under.

Do not lean on the airhorn of despicable criminality to justify this. Criminals
will be among the first to evade ICANN’s intentions on unmasking them, and then
what? Is ICANN prepared to become the Internet Police Force? What other
sacrifices will law abiding netizens have to make in this effort? Are you not
justifying this along the same lines as generations of law enforcement, most
recently when the FBI Director Comey demanded that companies not utilize
encryption. Stripping away security, privacy and other rights from all does not
make us safer.

ICANN needs to demonstrate it is on the right side of history. ICANN staffers
cannot be wagging their finger at the NSA and its excesses and then turn around
to propose this.

Privacy is the first right. We cannot freely express thoughts under
surveillance. Thank you.