ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Please protect WHOIS data

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please protect WHOIS data
  • From: Nick Watts <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:12:20 +1000

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I wish to add another voice urging you to require court orders before
releasing whois data (whether to law enforcement or to private interests).
My father is a doctor.  Because of this, my mother spent much of my
childhood worried that the wrong people would discover our address and
break in looking for drugs, which meant we always had to be careful giving
it out.

This is one of the many corner-cases I doubt have been considered in this
policy.  Due process exists for a reason, please don't throw it to the
wind!  Private information should be kept private.

Yours faithfully,
Nicholas Watts