ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Peter Wright Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Peter Wright Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Peter Wright <me@peter.works>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:28:28 +0100

Dear ICANN,

I am writing to you today regarding the proposed rules governing companies that
provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services
Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I strongly urge you to respect my right to privacy and due process. My specific
concerns are:
No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.
The contact details contained within the WHOIS information is entirely
sufficient to get in contact with the owner of the domain: WHOIS privacy
services forward communication on to the owner but protect their sensitive
personal contact information.
Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
Particularly with the recent explosion of online “trolls", “SWATting” and
predatory lawsuits, whether personal contact information is made available
should not be up to a private organisation but instead should be protected by
the existing public court systems which have been set up with the necessary
checks and balances in place for dealing with these matters in a way which can
be publicly scrutinised.
Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

- Peter