ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - François-R Boyer Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - François-R Boyer Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: François-R Boyer <Francois-R.Boyer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:17:30 -0400 (EDT)

Dear ICANN,

Badly intentioned people got my personal information, most probably from WHOIS
data, to call me at home and ask to modify my computer configuration. I
understand that WHOIS data should be accessible in some situations for law
enforcement, but having it publicly exposed is a threat to our privacy. As my
domain name could be considered as partly used for "business", I am concerned
by the proposed rules that could prevent me from using WHOIS privacy services.

Private information should not be accessible. People needing to contact the
owner of a domain name should do it either through the publicly available
addresses (those voluntarily given on the associated web site, or through
standard webmaster@ or contact@ email addresses), or indirectly through the
WHOIS privacy service (without obtaining the private information). The private
information should only be given with a court order (even law enforcement
agencies should require a court order to obtain the information).

Thank you,
François