ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Keep WHOIS information protection services

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Keep WHOIS information protection services
  • From: James Gealy <red@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 18:48:07 -0400

I recently read that ICANN is considering doing away with WHOIS information
protection services such as whoisguard for commercial websites. I believe this
to be a step in the wrong direction and ask that this protection not be
curtailed.

These services protect small businesses by helping them be free from spam and
malicious activity that would otherwise result from their private personal
information being in public. These services also protect people from
retribution and allow them to be more anonymous online, a key tenet of the
internet.  This information should only be given when the request is
accompanied by a court order.

Thank you for your time,

James Gealy