ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy
  • From: Jeff McGurk <jeff.mcgurk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:04:46 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document, specifically section 1.3.3):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.  Small
business is the lifeblood of a free economy.  Since many of these business
owners use their own personally identifiable information (PII) to run their
businesses, it is imperative that we protect such information in accordance
with current and future PII regulations.

I am very sympathetic to the issue of financial disputes arising out of online
commercial transactions, I've experienced it myself.  But the risks of
publishing the PII of everyone who accepts payment through their website far
outweighs the benefit.  It is therefore my opinion that attention should be
focused on the other issues within the document, to assure P/P providers are
reputable and held accountable for both duly authorized requests from LEA as
well as their customers privacy.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Jeff McGurk