ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Erin Gibson Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Erin Gibson Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Erin <erin.friction@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:30:50 -0400

ICANN,

As a woman and a website owner, the prospect of my personal address being
available to anyone for the asking is TERRIFYING.

Having already been targeted for harassment online for things as benign
personal stories about my dog, I can with confidence that there are a lot
of frightening people on the internet, and people will be hurt (literally
and in real life) if online privacy of WHOIS data is gutted. If anything,
we should be moving towards a system where private info is the DEFAULT,
rather than an option that must be paid for.

What's being proposed is DANGEROUS, especially to people in marginalized
populations who are already subjected to a disproportionate amount of
online and real life harassment.

Thank you,
Erin Gibson