ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Protect Domain Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Protect Domain Privacy
  • From: "Tom Mango" <tsmango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 07:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear ICANN –

I run my own business from my home - an online store platform where our
customers can create a store to sell their band's music and merch - and so I
don't have a separate work address or phone number. Forcing the exposure of my
WHOIS data is potentially dangerous and extremely worrying.

And while despite generally having wonderful customers who love what we do,
there are always people that don't agree with some things and that could pose a
threat. Just last week a neo-nazi record label created a store and started
selling extremely hateful records and t-shirts (this doesn’t happen often, but
things like this have happened a number of times over the past few years). This
is against our terms of service and so we shut their store down. These are not
people I want having easy access to my home address and private phone number.

So, with regard to the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS
privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

--
Tom Mango