ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Importance of domain privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Importance of domain privacy
  • From: Alex Bedloe <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:36:49 +0100

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you to offer my comments regards PPSAI policy. I am
against the implementation of the policy in its current form as I feel I
would put me at personal risk.

I write on topics such as gender, sexuality, and the presentation of the
male body in a more feminine way. I do this on a site I run, on a domain
I own. While many people receive my views well, some do not. Anger and
threats are not unusual, and I feel having my address online – in plain
sight – would make me vulnerable.

Moreover, I generally write under a pen-name as this frees me to discuss
topics I am not ready to share with the world, and this is even more
severe for others. I have friends who would be disowned (literally, not
figuratively) by their families if their families were ever able to
discover their online personas. I have friends who have had to evacuate
their homes due to bomb threats received as a result of their online
personas.

We are making big steps towards a more tolerant world, but we are still
a long way off, and there will always be someone on the internet that
thinks you are wrong. Sometimes that person will be threatening and
malicious, in which case I'd be very grateful if my home address was not
on public display.

Best Regards

Alex