ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Don't expose website owners to risk

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Don't expose website owners to risk
  • From: Chris Algoo <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:05:41 -0400

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is a lot of vicious behavior on the
internet. Death threats, sharing of personal information (such as home
addresses), and more. If you're unfamiliar this is a good primer - this is
just the videogame-related abuse, but there's much more out there.
http://gawker.com/what-is-gamergate-and-why-an-explainer-for-non-geeks-1642909080

Having all of a site owner's info will only make it easier for abusers to
find their targets. There's a practice called SWATting where someone will
call the police to have a SWAT team sent to a house - I can only imagine
how much more there will be once all of a registrant's info is publicly
available.

Please make the responsible choice.
-Chris