ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Steve Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Steve Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: S F <foxone02@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 02:56:55 +1000

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

I have several websites that I run as personal sites, and use my real name and
home address in my details.
Removing the WHOIS privacy will reveal my personal details to anyone who may
have malicious intents.
This could include all  sorts of activities such as harassment, stalking, and
identity theft, amongst others.
Removing the WHOIS privacy will affect many innocent people who have legitimate
reasons for disguising their personal details.
As a result this could cause all sorts of grief to people who just want to
enjoy the world wide web.

I do not object to businesses having to reveal their details, but I do object
to regular peoples personal and residential details being freely available to
anyone who may or may not have malicious intents.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Regards
Steve Fox