ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

This is a horrible idea.

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: This is a horrible idea.
  • From: Rich Fowler <rich.fowler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:10:33 -0400

I think that while the spirit of this proposal could *theoretically* do
some good in a very small number of cases that *only *affect certain large
corporations, in reality, *this is a terrible idea* that will hurt tens of
thousands of real people and put millions more at risk.

I would much rather that ICANN look out for individual users' rights,
safety, and well-being *over the pecuniary interests of a small group of
well-heeled corporations*.

*Getting court orders* to force domain registrars to divulge the real
address information of people who are accused of violating laws is the
proper way to get domain registrant information, *but making the domain
registrar post that information as a matter of course for anyone to access
freely is a horrible, wrong-minded idea that will endanger countless people*
.

Individuals who may be the targets of stalkers or other very real online
harassers would have no way to counter a very real and imminent threat to
their immediate personal safety, and others will be exposed to rampant
identity theft who shouldn't be.

*It will also have a large chilling effect* on individuals who might
otherwise seek out a domain name to express themselves on the Internet-- if
my information could fall into the hands of a random psycho or criminal,
why would I get my own domain in the first place? Again, this is a terrible
idea with many unforeseen effects.

Not to mention that this proposal unfairly targets women, minorities,
people who are LGBT, or any other group that is persecuted either online or
offline. *This would not help people who are persecuted or discriminated
against, it would only hurt them, and it would only help those who actively
seek to persecute or discriminate.*

This proposal is the sort of lazy, self-serving idea that only the legal
department of a large multinational media conglomerate could get behind.*
ICANN, don't be their lackey.* If they want to sue someone, they need to do
it the right way, through the courts, and by using proper discovery
tactics. *It is NOT ICANN's JOB to facilitate their legal proceedings in
such a way that innocent bystanders will have their lives RUINED by
sociopathic trolls or criminal orgainzations.*

Thank you for your attention to my comments.

Sincerely,
Richard D. Fowler, Esq.
Attorney-at-Law.