ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - David Foster Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - David Foster Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: David Foster <davidfstr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:50:10 -0700

Hello ICANN,

My understanding is that new rules are being proposed that would disallow WHOIS protection providers from posting an intermediate contact address for website operators, instead forcing website operators to post their own address publicly - often which is their primary residence.

This makes it unsafe to be a website operator if one cares about their physical privacy, which is likely to turn away a lot of individuals from creating their own website, which would be unfortunate.

There do exist other intermediary services available that avoid posting one's physical address, such as PO Boxes. However these are typically a lot more expensive that the traditional WHOIS protection providers, and smaller potential website operators may deem it not worth the cost.

Please do not disallow WHOIS protection services from operating.

Thank you for your time.

--
David Foster
Site Operator (dafoster.net)