ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Daniel Adkins Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Daniel Adkins Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Dan Adkins <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 18:33:46 +0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

*Even using privacy services, I get several spam emails a day, most of which are domain registration or domain renewal scams. By removing WHOIS privacy, you will be increasing spam and fraud and putting individuals in danger as your requirement for real information exposes domain holders to government thugs (in certain jurisdictions), thugs who disagree with things done on the website (in all jurisdictions), and stalkers (in all jurisdictions). To use the internet vernacular, by removing WHOIS privacy, you are Doxing every domain holder and may end up with blood on your hands if they get SWATTED, or killed by someone who disagrees with their business.**
***
Private information should be kept private.
Thank you.
Daniel Adkins