ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Please do not change the rule protecting our privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please do not change the rule protecting our privacy
  • From: <shelley.just@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:04:12 +0000

How do you define “commercial”? Some would say a site like Amazon’s is a
commercial site, while others would say any site that’s related, albeit even
loosely, to a profit making activity is “commercial”.

I write books for a living. I talk about my books on my site. Does that make it
a commercial site?

If I run ads to help support one of my sites, does that make it commercial?
Even if the money is only used to pay the site’s expenses, and I don’t profit
from the ads?

Exposing my personal home information and phone number can lead to me being
harassed, and even harmed.

I can see exposing the information if it leads people to a store front or
public business location--but not to a personal home address, no matter what
the purpose of the site.

The entertainment companies have the means now to discover people’s names and
contact information. They’ve never been handicapped in the past in this regard.
They’re just getting lazy and sloppy. Well, they have legal departments, and
filing the court papers to discover a person’s name and address costs very
little. They’re just going to have to do some work in their relentless drive to
protect the world against some poor slop who accidentally included a snippet
from some song.

Shelley Powers

Sent from Windows Mail