ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Please protect the privacy of people who register domains

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please protect the privacy of people who register domains
  • From: Jen Roth <jen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:25:17 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I run a website that deals with controversial issues. I am also a woman. Given
those two facts, I’m alarmed to see that you are considering a proposal that
would not allow owners of "domains used for commercial purposes” to use proxy
registration services, especially if the definition of “commercial purposes” is
broad enough to include sites that merely run ads or take donations. You must
be aware that there are thousands of stalkers and harassers on the internet who
will use any personal information they can get their hands on to attempt to
intimidate and silence people who disagree with them. There is no compelling
reason for ICANN to make harassment easier by requiring domain owners to make
their information viewable by the entire world. If there is a copyright or
other issue that requires the owner of a domain to be identified, this can
happen through legal channels.

Disallowing use of proxy services for domains which are used for direct (i.e.,
not run through a third party) financial transactions strikes me as less
problematic. People should know who they’re giving their credit card or banking
information to, and domain owners who engage in commercial activities but wish
to be protected from having their personal information made public have other
options.

Thank you for your consideration.

--
Jennifer Roth