ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

iCANN - Please Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: iCANN - Please Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Jack Spence <jack.xenophelius.spence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:02:49 +0000

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

The internet has proved to be a powerful tool to help equalise the voices
of the small facing the large and preventing the use of whois proxy
providers would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

No one should need to publish their home address and personal phone number
all over the internet just to have their voice heard. Requiring this would
make a lot of people (me included) need to consider whether it's worth it
to have an internet presence when the price is publishing my address. No
one should need to decide between having their voice heard and not fearing
people who disagree with them knowing where they live.

I understand that there are issues with domain names and that people want
to take action against them, but I don't think this is the right way. There
are already methods in place to provide for whois proxy services to give up
names through court procedures and this gives the right amount of due
process.

I hope that you'll allow me to keep having my voice heard on the internet
and allow me to keep using whois proxy providers

Jack Spence