ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Respect our privacy as law-abiding citizens and customers. Don't expose WHOIS data!

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Respect our privacy as law-abiding citizens and customers. Don't expose WHOIS data!
  • From: Brock <cyberenstarship@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:22:29 -0600

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

Privacy is a RIGHT, not a privilege. This is what the fourth amendment says:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
effects,against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
persons or things to be seized.

You don't hate the constitution, do you? There may be other internet
companies that enjoy violating our privacy like we're living in a George
Orwell novel but you don't have to follow that trend. If exposing personal
information is so important, it can be done with a court order. Otherwise
it's a risk to law-abiding citizens that just want to be left alone.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Brock Janson