ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Private registrations of domain names

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Private registrations of domain names
  • From: randy tuler <tfestate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:50:34 -0700

I see no problem with private registrations. This information does not need
to be out in the open; this would cause a lot more problems than it would
solve. If information about the owner of a domain is required then the
inquirer can obtain a court order.

I think the other, more practical issue here has to do with organizations
like OpenNIC

I would absolutely not like to see DNS fragmented by the widespread use of
alternative servers and top level domain names not under the control of
ICANN. However, I believe that is what will happen if the ability to
privately register a domain name under the auspices of ICANN no longer
exists.

Thank you, and good luck
Randy Tuler