ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

iCANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: iCANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Verdant Names <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:44:24 +0100

Dear ICANN,

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services:

The right to privacy is a fundamental human right. An important right that should not bediscarded at a whim to appease the commercial and law lobbies who already possess the means andmechanisms with which to pursue infringing or illegal activities.

The right to privacy and by extension the use of WHOIS privacy services does not need to bejustified. For either personal or commercial activities. The erosion of existing rights howeverabsolutely must be justified and requires an absolutely irrefutable argument to prevail.

I do not believe that the proposals presented in the Privacy and Policy Services AccreditationIssues Policy document present such a case. It is within your power to defend the rights of theindividual, your primary constituents, against overzealous, however well meaning, state andcorporate entities.

Yours sincerely,
Jonathan Rusca