ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Privacy
  • From: Andrew Steadman <andrew.steadman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 13:28:07 -0600

WHOIS privacy is a very important feature that should not be removed. If
WHOIS privacy is disallowed, even if just for commercial purposes, it will
drastically affect how many domains I purchase. The scope of "commercial"
use is far to broad and the privacy of innocent and law-abiding individuals
and small business is far to important to implement the kind of changes
being proposed. I urge you to reconsider and understand that individuals
and small business are going to be the hardest hit by these changes, and
these are exactly the people in need of services such as WHOIS privacy
protection. It will ultimately have no-effect in stopping illegal or
criminal uses, as these people will simply use false or incorrect
information or other means to avoid or delay identification.