ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois privacy comment

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois privacy comment
  • From: "Philip E. Davis" <dirigo.phil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:00:30 -0400

I am writing about my concerns on the ICANN proposal to
expose my private domain ownership registration details.

I understand that copyright owners are seeking this to make
it easier for them to discern the ownership of domains and
websites that promote or facilitate piracy of copyrighted
materials.  I am sympathetic to their problems but I do not
believe that wholesale unmasking the ownership of domains
really is the right way to go about this problem.

These entities already have the rule of law and legal methods
to pursue and obtain the ownership detail of domains owners
and websites used in the copyright infractions.

Making the private and personal information of domain
owners to make prosecution of a very small number of
copyright offenders is heavy handed and inappropriate.

Many millions of innocent domain owners information will
become available to all sorts of marketing, criminal and
others with no legitimate reason to be able to obtain this
information and exposing all domain owners to possible
use and abuse of their private information.

Please reconsider this proposal and keep my private
information private.

Sincerely,

Philip Davis
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Philip E. Davis
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Email: dirigo.phil@xxxxxxxxx

"Speaking the Truth in times of universal
deceit is a revolutionary act."

-- George Orwell