ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

iCANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: iCANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "Tim N." <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:34:37 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

The vast majority of webmasters, including myself, are as honest as the day is long. We are simply trying to either inform the public on legitimate subject matter and information we wish to impart, or to carry on some legitimate business venture. We are absolutely not doing anything illegal. It would be a big mistake to paint all webmasters with the same 'suspicious' brush.

The reason we choose to have our most vital information hidden from WHOIS, is because we do not wish to be contacted by any person that simply wants to bother us. This is our right. It's no different or suspicious than having an unlisted phone number.

I needn't remind you that there are also many unscrupulous people, including hackers, who have a mind to cause trouble for others, including using personal information for any nefarious purpose that suits their deranged minds.

While this is not likely to happen to most of us, we nevertheless ought to avoid giving them the opportunity to do so. Protecting our personal information, especially on the internet, is of prime importance to each and every one of us.

Even the most marginally dishonest operators should still be considered innocent until proven guilty by due process.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Tim Nichol