ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

iCANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: iCANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "Charles Frankston" <cbf9427@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:52:23 -0400

Dear ICANN -

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I own and or manage several internet domains. On my personal domains, I use
the privacy services provided by my domain registrars. I'm not trying to
hide anything - I just don't wish to make it that easy for someone to look
up my contact information.

On some of my employer's domains where the contact information is relatively
public, we receive:

*       Massive amounts of SPAM to the email addresses listed with the
registration

*       Unsolicited physical email - often with fake invoices, or domain
registration renewal notices (trying to trick out accounts payable
department into changing registrars, etc.)

There are good an valid reasons to allow domain owners to keep certain
information private.

If the entertainment industry wants to get contact information to press
claims against certain domain owners, they can damn well get a court order
to do so.