ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Regarding exposing WHOIS data

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Regarding exposing WHOIS data
  • From: Donavan Kienenberger <dlk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:07:20 -0800

Dear ICANN,

I am against moving to exposing WHOIS data for commercial or anyone for that
matter. I've owned a domain since the 1990's before Privacy & Proxy Services
came into being. The amount of spam I received because my whois data was public
was overwhelming.  I would get over 300 emails a day, all junk mail. I missed
many email sent out by ICANN because they were buried in the flood of spam. as
I only used that email account for registrar services,  all that spam came from
groups harvesting my public whois data. Once I discovered Privacy & Proxy
Services I was able to receive useful notifications again. They were able to
give me a randomizing whois email address that kept spammers email lists foiled
 and allowed me to have contact with my domain provider and not miss important
announcements and notifications specific to the purpose of the contact
information I was providing.  If you want to make it harder for users to
received notices from you, opening the whois to the public will do that. I
speak from experience.  In addition, the address on my whois database is my
home address! I don't want that to become available!  That makes me feel
extremely unsafe! Not every commercial entity is a big organization. A lot of
businesses are run out of ones home, so I would not be the only one not feeling
secure anymore!

- Donavan