ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Respect our privacy. Don't expose WHOIS data.

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Respect our privacy. Don't expose WHOIS data.
  • From: Adam Simpsons <codeh3x@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 03:20:28 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Sure there may be some goodness in this but when you put in on the big
scale, there's more harm than good in it. It is very clear that this is
being done for the benefit of a few, while putting great number of netizens
in privacy risks. Please, do what is right for the people and not what is
right for these agencies who want to go around the law to get information.
Why should they not go through legal procedures to do what they need to,
rather they are so obsessed with the idea of total control that they have
disregarded everyone's right to privacy.

This is unbelievable, the United States passes the law in all 50 states
that legalizes same sex marriages for their right of their freedom, and
tomorrow what if they pass a law that states under their marital status:
"gay/lesbian married." Would this not cause fury? There are countries in
the world that would put the same sex married people in danger if they
their privacy was exposed.

If tomorrow Facebook announces that they have changed their privacy policy,
which does not support private accounts any longer?

ICANN should reconsider passing such a policy as it could affect the lives
of many innocent people, while criminals I'm sure could always use fake
identities and other domain TLDs to continue.

This policy will not affect me in the least, but I'm a caring citizen and
when something that could potentially violate people's privacy and put them
at risk of any danger, then I believe that every citizen of the world
should stand up against it. I hope ICANN does the same.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.
God bless!