ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "M Adkturn" <adkturn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 08:56:35 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

The reason private information should be kept private and only disclosed
pursuant to a court order is simple: COURTS OF LAW are the LEGAL established
referees in any dispute. For ICANN to give out my private information on the
basis of a mere phone call from a complainant -- who could be business rival,
personal enemy or some anonymous stalker with a vendetta -- is to SURRENDER the
RULE OF LAW.

This is an abominable idea to reveal personal data to anyone without a court
order. It is one more step in the direction of abandoning -- not preserving --
the rule of law and should be dropped in the ashcan.