ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Daniel Norris <shastao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 09:27:11 -0400

Dear ICANN,

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.

My girlfriend's father registered a domain name last year for a personal project without using a privacy service, and the house immediately got bombarded with junk phone calls for weeks until they figured out where the information leak was. Upon switching to a DNS privacy service, these calls have tapered off. Since DNS information is public information, there is nothing stopping the lowest of the low spammers, phishers and cold callers from repeatedly contacting the holders of domain names in a desperate attempt to pursue their business model in exploitation of the consequences of your policies.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Daniel Norris