ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Respect Domain Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Respect Domain Privacy
  • From: Thomas Kirchner <tjkirch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 10:13:56 -0700

Dear ICANN,

By forcing WHOIS data to be personal and public, you would be encouraging
harassment of domain owners.  I've been subject to harassment myself due to
WHOIS records, and I've heard of much worse harassment (doxing, swatting)
because of these public records.  "Commercial activity" is irrelevant.

Please consider the privacy and safety of domain owners, and please reject
the proposed guidelines that would require private contact information be
public through WHOIS.

Thank you,
Tom Kirchner