ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Deeply opposed to proposed changes to privacy protections

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Deeply opposed to proposed changes to privacy protections
  • From: andrewkings@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 21:37:49 +1000

Hello,

I am deeply opposed to your proposed changes involving domain privacy
providers.  I own several URLs and do not wish for my details to be
exposed which your changes would in effect make possible.

Further, while I have no particular reason to fear being exposed there
are many people who need the protection that strong anonymity brings.
For example, activists in totalitarian regimes, whistleblowers and
people with unpopular views who wish to retain their jobs.

If you attempt to change the current system (except, of course, if you
do away with the whois registry entirely) I will do whatever I can to
see your attempts undermined and in the long run stewardship of a
DNS-like system passed to more responsible hands.

Regards,

Andrew Kings